TinkeringKate.com

Helping busy mompreneurs keep their sanity


Leave a comment

Finding My Place

In a sea of direct sales representatives it’s hard to stand out from the crowd. When I joined Origami Owl it was relatively new and unheard of, heck many people still haven’t heard of it. Now we’ve hit a lot of growth. I’m still holding my own and even built a small team, but of course I would love to do better and reach more people. I love the idea of attraction marketing. I think too many people think if they just keep shoving their information at people they will succeed. I’m definitely not a pushy person so that method will not work for me.

I just had a great training call with a fabulous woman named Brenda Ster (Sassy Suite). I finally know who “my people” are and how I would like to help them.  I chose the name TinkeringKate because (1) it’s actually my name and (2) I found a definition for tinker: somebody able to do many different kinds of work successfully. As a busy mom that definition spoke to me. I’m Irish too so that helps.

So here I am, making strides to help busy moms (and non-mons) with life in general or their business. I know that once I get a few basic time management issues down (we’re all a work in progress) I’ll be a rock star!

Stay tuned for more adventures in direct sales!

Catch me most night at 9PM (EST) on Periscope for “Pillow Talk” where I recap my day and how it went.

Facebook is my main focus so you can find me there or on Instagram. If you’d like more information please fill out the information below:


Leave a comment

Step 2 – Share your excitement

A little while back I started blogging about the five steps I feel are critical to getting your home business off to a great start. These are things I wish I did when I started. It would have saved me so much time. I want to help you avoid those mistakes. You can see my first post about getting organized here.

So you’ve started your home business, you figured out how you want to keep your calendar and where you’ll work. Now you need to fill up that calendar! So now what do you do? Spread the word!

I’m going to say that I think this is one of the hardest parts of starting a home based (direct sales, MLM, network marketing) business. Not because it’s hard to share your excitement, but to do it the right way. Chances are you know at least one, if not several, people who also sell something. Some people have been so “excited” to share their love for their company that they have spammed everyone they know to either buy, book or join. That may work for some people, but chances are you are going to alienate your friends. I’ve seen it happen. People stop talking to you because they don’t want to be just another prospect. I know what you’re thinking, but Katie, if I can’t tell everyone about my new business how are they going to know to buy from me?

Let’s get a little old school. Let’s remember a time when we didn’t use social media to stay connected with everyone. Remember the part of your phone with numbers on it? You use that to call people. That’s what you’re going to use. Most companies have some sort of worksheet you can use to help generate a list of people you know to call and invite to your new business. At Origami Owl, we call it our A.L.I.C.E. list. It stands for:

  • Acquaintances
  • Livelihood
  • Inner Circle
  • Children’s Contacts
  • E-connections

I’ve also heard of the F.R.A.N.K. list:

  • Friends
  • Relatives
  • Acquaintances
  • Neighbors
  • Kid Contacts

Same principle, just worded differently.

Now, I’m not saying you can’t use social media to help spread the word. You just want to be sure that’s not all you’re posting. Your friends liked you before you started working for X company and they still want to know about you. Many people recommend the 80-20 rule. Your posts should only be 20% promotional. The other 80% should still be those memes that crack you up, cute cats and pictures of your kids. Heck maybe what you had for dinner last night if you’re a good cook or went to a nice restaurant.

There’s more to you than your business, don’t let that get lost in the process. Chances are you’re not the only rep in town so be someone people want to do business with. If not, they’ll go elsewhere.